WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
Chilli Con Carne is one of my favourite quick meals to make. It requires little effort and always satisfies a hungry tummy.
This recipe was introduced to our family by my friend Claudia. It's an easy recipe that makes you can't help going back for seconds, and is even delicious the next day on hot buttered toast. It has been a firm favourite in our family for years, and I know it’s going to become one of yours.
- Two teaspoons olive oil
- 125g rindless bacon, roughly chopped
- 750g lean beef mince
- Two medium brown onions, finely chopped
- Two medium red capsicums, chopped
- Three garlic cloves, crushed
- One long red chilli, chopped
- Two tablespoons Mexican chilli powder
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- toppings, to serve (see serving notes below)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 15 minutes or until browned.
- Add onions, capsicums, garlic and chopped chilli. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add chilli powder. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- Add beans. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through, and sauce has thickened. Serve chilli with toppings.
There are so many different sides you could serve your chilli con carne with. If you were to ask me, I would choose to serve it with warm tortillas, boiled long grain rice, crunchy sourdough toast, a green salad of iceberg and avocado wedges, grated cheese, sour cream, yoghurt, guacamole, couscous or jacket potatoes. You choose!
Recipe via Taste.com.