Make Your Own Dog Treats
WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
Cooking and entertaining are one of my greatest joys so why not extend that joy to my furry friends?
I love treating my dogs to a little something special. Making homemade dog treats is such an easy thing to do and you're dogs will love you that little bit more. I came across a really easy recipe a few years ago; since then I have made these treats so many times that my dogs seem to know when I am cooking them!
Filling a jar with a gorgeous bow around it is a sweet gesture and great gift for dog lovers. How about baking a few extra and taking them to your local dog park? Rewarding good behaviour will make you a firm favourite amongst the local canines, just be sure to check with their owners first!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (I use a jars of baby food)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Two large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
HOW TO MAKE THE BISCUITS ::
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs until well combined. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour, beating just until incorporated.
- Add 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness & size of your creations)
- Let cool completely.