Eight Ways To Clean Your Home With Lemons
WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
The lemon is a quiet achiever in the fruit world.
Growing all year round, unlike most fruits, lemons can be squeezed drunk, boiled, grated, sliced, diced and candied. But did you also know that lemons are a mild disinfectant? With a little squeeze of lemon you can fight of lots of dirt, grime and bacteria.
Eight ways to clean your home with lemons::
- Pop half a lemon in your dishwasher cutlery drawer - the acidity in the lemon cuts through grease.
- Get your microwave extra clean by placing lemon slices in some vinegar infused water, microwave on high for two minutes then wipe out.
- To refresh your fridge dab lemon juice onto a cotton ball and leave it in your fridge for several hours. This will help remove any unwanted odours in your fridge.
- Prevent cauliflower and avocados from browning by squeezing several drops of lemon juice on them.
- Refresh your lemon board with a cut side of half a lemon.
- To help keep insects out of your kitchen squeeze lemon in between holes and cracks (e.g. tile grout) to deter the creepy crawlies.
- For a more powerful clothes wash, add half a cup of lemon juice to your washing.
- Lemon juice mixed with salt is the perfect cleaner for copper items.