Create Your Own Miniature Garden
WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
Sometimes the little kid in me just has to get out! This fantastical miniature garden is a great project to do for kids of all ages.
I loved making this as a little girl. I would spend hours decorating and redecorating, talking to my fairy’s or little ladybugs and just losing myself in the fun of it all. This is a simple and cute DIY, perfect for a school holidays project. The fun thing about this miniature garden is that it can be designed with any little person in mind. Don’t be confined to fairies, gardens for trucks, cars, tiny animals, bugs and so forth are also great options to explore.
When it comes to finding little bits and pieces to create your garden, $2 stores a goldmine! You can go overboard with accessorising, but that’s half of the fun.
- x 2-3 fairies, ladybugs or whatever themed character you choose
- Plastic bag
- Small flowering punnet
- Small herb
- Coloured rocks
- Garden ornaments
- Line basket with plastic, garbage bag or shopping bag to fit your basket will work.
- Line your basket with soil.
- Plant up your flowers and your herbs.
- Place your mirror in your basket, this is your pond (soon cute!!)
- Surround your pond with whatever fake plants or ornaments you have.
- Fill the gaps with moss; this is how you will hide the plastic and any stems of mushrooms.
- Sprinkle your pebbles around the garden, just a little bit of landscaping around the pond!
- Finish off with your ornaments.