Three 'Beery' Good Cocktails
WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
Summer and cold beer are a match made in heaven! Here are three refreshing cocktails featuring beer that will be sure to cool you down in the warm weather.
I have never really been a beer girl, the odd shandy; yes, but straight up beer is not a favourite. However, there have been times on a hot day where I have relished a cold beer which got me thinking there must be some fun cocktails recipes that use beer as an ingredient. In fact, come to think of it there are plenty of things to do with beer that doesn't include drinking it!
What you might not know about beer::
- Soak your copper and cast iron in beer for a few minutes then simply buff the surface to remove stains.
- It can also clean your gold jewellery, simply soak, rinse and gently polish.
- Beer can help soften your feet! Combine warm water and beer to soak your troubles away.
- Substitute water for beer in some of your recipes. From cooking rice to steaming seafood, play with the flavours and see what you can come up with.
- Beer can give your hair the shine it needs. To create your new shampoo, boil the beer down to remove the alcohol content then mix it with your own shampoo and let it work its magic on your hair.
- If you have bees bothering you when you are entertaining outdoors; place some beer in cups around the garden and let the bees get distracted.
- Your garden will also enjoy the sweetness from beer, perfect for emptying half drunk bottles after a gathering.
- It's the perfect liquid to clean the BBQ before a cook up.
- 350ml lime flavouring (can be cordial)
- 200ml Tequila
- 350ml Water
- One lime, thinly sliced
- 700ml beer, chilled
- Optional: salt for rimming glasses
- In a large jug, combine lime concentrate, tequila, and water. Stir thoroughly.
- Chill if desired, up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, fill a jug with ice, lime slices, and beer.
- Serve in salt-rimmed glasses if desired.
- 350ml ginger beer
- 350ml beer
- Juice from about eight limes
- Garnish: lime wedges
- Pour ginger beer and beer carefully into a jug.
- Add lime juice and stir gently to mix.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses, and garnish each glass with a lime wedge if desired.
- 25ml Red Grapefruit juice (fresh-squeezed!)
- 20ml Gin
- 150ml Beer
- 150ml Ginger beer
- Add the gin and grapefruit juice to the bottom of a glass.
- Fill the remaining portion of the jar halfway with beer and top with ginger beer.