Want to cook Dad something special this Father’s Day?
An Egg and Bacon Pie is one of the easiest things to make with simple ingredients you will most likely have in your fridge. It takes hardly any time to pull together and always leaves the kitchen smelling delicious. It is so versatile that you can change up ingredients by adding in mushrooms, leeks and onions, maybe even some roasted pumpkin. Anything you have in the fridge, so get creative!
Dad will love the smell as it’s cooking and seriously, once it's taken out of the oven and eaten fresh with some homemade relish is a perfect fathers day meal. In fact, this meal is so easy it’s of the first things I've learnt to cook, my grandmother shared her recipe with me, and I make it all the time. It’s one of those simple things you can also get your children to make, it's a staple that makes everyone happy!
Sometimes the simplest of recipes with the freshest of ingredients is all you need. Perfect for lunch, snack or even eaten cold.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, defrosted
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk (or cream)
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped (red or brown is fine)
- ¾ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius (200 degrees if using fan-forced).
- Lightly grease a pie or tart tin (loose-bottomed ones work best).
- Place one sheet of the puff pastry into the tin and press down. Use the second piece to cover any gaps that remain.
- Fry the bacon and onion over a medium heat in a frying pan until the onion has softened and the bacon has started to crisp up.
- Place the bacon and onion into the bottom of the tin on top of the pastry.
- Sprinkle over half of the cheese.
- With a fork, lightly beat the eggs and milk together.
- Pour the egg mixture over top of the bacon.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You can't eat a great meat pie without sauce, now can you? This sauce is so good, every man loves a gutsy sauce to have with their BBQ or with their egg and bacon pie! This homemade tomato sauce is a really simple gift for the Dad that has everything, and when you package it up in a cute jar it makes for a really special and unique gift. Perfect for all Dads!
Homemade Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300g can peeled tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 squeeze of lemon
Tomato Sauce Method
- Place the oil in a saucepan over low heat, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened slightly. Add all the other ingredients and bring to the boil, squeezing over some lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until thickened slightly. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Photos: Lisa Atkinson Copyright © Chyka Keebaugh.