A short drive from the city…
WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
Having a place to escape the business of the working week is an absolute luxury
Even after weeks of travelling, there is nothing better than escaping to a weekend getaway and getting to know a whole new area that is only a hours drive from the city. The time we spend down the Mornington Peninsula is all about family, exploring the area and relaxing. Finding new places to eat, new markets to wander through and new cellar doors to try out really makes for a fun, yet restorative weekend.
Taking time out is something we all need to do, whether it be as simple as sitting on the couch, quietly reading a magazine or booking a weekend away; breaking up your routine can do wonders for your mental health, your families happiness and your relationships. I always find that Winter is when I need to mix life up a little, and getting away from it all is the perfect start.
My favourite places to eat on the Mornington Peninsula...
- Epicurean My favourite spot for a lazy, long lunch
- Johnny Ripe Home style cooking that can be taken home or eaten in, love their cakes!
- The Green Olive The perfect place to sit down and enjoy a sneaky wine and cheese platter, then, of course, you can leave with a bottle of their oil.
- Mi Mexico I’ve heard nothing but great things about this little Mexican eatery, I can't wait to try it!
- Redgum BBQ A perfect place for ribs, prepare to get a little messy!
- Red Hill House I literally go every time I'm down and love everything here!!
- Main Ridge Harvest This is another great cafe, yes! The area is full of them...what are you waiting for?
- Polperro A gorgeous restaurant to wine and dine at.
My favourite place of the moment… If you get the chance you have to head down to Jackalope. It is a new hotel in Merricks that is truly sensational, from the gardens and vineyard that surround, to the hotel rooms and dining room. The building itself is a sight to see, it really is the perfect place for a long lunch or a special night away,
My favourite stores to shop at on the Mornington Peninsula...
- Dromana IGA The very best IGA I have ever walked into, it has a gourmet selection of breads, wine, cheese…. you name it - it’s got it!
- Red Fox Run There is nothing better than browsing this cute little homewares store with it's collection of lovely things
- Greedilulu The perfect combination of boho luxe and contemporary homewares, this store is full of lovely handmade, non-mass produced items right in the heart of Mornington.
- La Brocante A gorgeous mix of French Provincial and vintage items curated by a passionate couple who know their stuff!
My favourite things to do on the Mornington Peninsula...
Hot Tip! If you can get your hands on a locally made gin by the name of Bass & Flinders Gin you won’t regret it! It is made in the local distillery and is just delicious!