WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
The perfect side salad to some spicey fish or chicken. Simple to make, with a little nutty crunch to it, this salad is an absolute winner in my home...
Roasted cauliflower & hazelnut salad, ingredients...
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into small florets (660g in total)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large stick of celery, cut on an angle into 0.5cm slices (70g in total)
- 30g hazelnuts, with skins
- 10g small flat-leaf parsley leaves, picked
- 50g pomegranate seeds (from about 1/2 a medium pomegranate)
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200 ˚C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Mix the cauliflower with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, ½ a teaspoon of salt and some black pepper. Spread out in a roasting tin and sit on the top oven shelf for 25-35 minutes, until the cauliflower’s crisp and parts of it have turned golden brown. Transfer into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool down.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170˚C/150˚C Fan/ Gas Mark 5. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and roast for 17 minutes.
- Allow the nuts to cool a little, then roughly chop them and add in the cauliflower, along with the remaining oil and the rest of the ingredients. Stir, taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe Credit: from Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, published by Ebury Press.
Chyka Keebaugh [Chyka.com]