I am a big fan of a simple cocktail.
Something sweet and fizzy to get the night started never meets with disapproval by me! An Aperol is one of my recent favourites, and it was the highlight of many a pre-dinner drink when we travelled through Sicily. An Italian aperitif, Aperol is the perfect liquor to mix with, it is not too high in alcohol content so is the perfect afternoon tipple and when mixed with a little soda, who am I to say no? I love that when having a drink in Sicily, we were offered a simple platter of olives, almonds and potato chips. So simple yet seriously hits the spot. Now that we are moving into the warmer days and longer nights, it’s about time we get our cocktail game on - having a few delicious drink recipes up your sleeve will get you through. I am excited to share with you some my favourites at the moment, cheers!
The Modern’s Girovita Recipe
- 3 (1/4-inch thick) slices cucumber
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (see note above)
- Four large mint leaves
- 1 1/2 ounces Aperol
- 1-ounce apricot liqueur such as Rothman & Winter
- 1/2 ounce juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 ounce Pimm's No. 1
- Splash tonic water
- Cucumber + lemon slice for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle cucumber and simple syrup ten times, then add mint and tap gently with muddler five more times. Do not over-muddle mint.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add Aperol, apricot liqueur, lemon juice, and Pimm's.
- Shake well, then pour unstrained into a highball glass.
- Top with tonic water, garnish with cucumber wheel and mint sprig, and serve.
The Cheeky Negroni
- 1 ounce Hendricks gin
- 1 ounce Lillet Blanc
- 1 ounce Aperol
- Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Fill a mixing glass with ice.
- Add gin, Lillet Blanc, and Aperol. Stir well. Strain into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass.
- Twist grapefruit peel over drink to express oils, add to cocktail and serve.
The Classic Aperol Spritz
- Sparkling wine such as Prosecco
- 1 shot Aperol
- 1 glug club soda
- 1 slice orange
- Fill a tumbler or large wine glass with ice.
- Fill the glass 2/3 full with sparkling wine.
- Add the shot of Aperol.
- Top with club soda, stir well, then add the orange slice.