WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Lisa Atkinson
I absolutely fell in love with this dish when travelling in Sicily, and I was beyond excited to find a recipe where I could recreate it at home.
This pasta dish is so simple, so fresh and easy to make I am excited to be able to share it with you because I know it will become a firm favourite. There is a combination of sweet and savoury flavours in this dish that make it stand out, putting it all together on a big platter for your family to devour is just a joy.
- 1/2 packet of spaghetti
- 2tbs. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced and fronds kept
- 110g sardines in oil (fresh or tinned)
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup of Pecorino, freshly grated
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Zest
- Bring Water to boil and cook pasta.
- Toast the breadcrumbs with a little oil over medium heat until golden brown and crunchy.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in large pan and saute the garlic, fennel and pine nuts for five minutes or until softened.
- Place the pasta in the pan and combine, gently adding in the sardines.
- Add the breadcrumbs and the lemon zest
- Garnish with pecorino and fennel fronds.
Recipe via Everyday Gourmet TV.