If you are a little obsessed with coffee and love the idea of recycling it take note!
There are so many crazy and fun things to do once you have drunk that every important first drink of the day. From cleaning to bathing to crafting to gardening, these little ground up remnants are versatile. So before you bin the grounds, maybe there are some tips and tricks you can have fun with.
Tip + Tricks for coffee inside & outside your home
- Do you have an ant problem? Spread some used coffee grounds around pet food bowls and other areas where ants are travelling. The little bugs don’t like the strong smell of brewed coffee grounds put out, just remember to replace it every day until the ants are gone.
- Got a neighbouring cat messing up your garden beds? Much like citrus, the smells of coffee is offensive to most cats. Scatter a thin layer of coffee grounds directly onto the soil to keep that kitty out of your garden beds.
- And while you are in the garden, to increase your veggie growth, mix the seeds with fresh-ground coffee before planting in the soils. Not only does the extra bulk make the tiny seeds easier to sow, but the coffee aroma can help get rid of garden pests. As a bonus, the grounds will help add nutrients to the soil.
- Get rid of the smell of spoiled food from your fridge by filling a couple of bowls with used or fresh coffee grounds and place them in the freezer overnight.
- You can even clean surfaces by using a little ground up coffee on a cleaning cloth. Sounds crazy but due to its light abrasive quality it will remove built up food on plates. Just be careful not to use to on a surface with cracks as grounds can stain.
- If you love the smell of coffee, why not turn your old grounds into all-natural homemade candles? Simply purchase a candle making a kit and add the grounds. You can then enjoy the coffee aroma well into the night.
Tip + Tricks for coffee as a beauty treatment
- Believe it or not, Coffee grounds make an excellent exfoliating body scrub! Just add used grounds to a bit of warm water or your favourite all-natural oil (coconut oil works great!) Then rub your skin from head to foot to remove dead skin cells.
- Just as it works as a body scrub, coffee makes an excellent facial. Mix two tablespoons of used coffee grounds with an equal amount of cocoa powder. Add three tablespoons of whole milk or heavy cream and top it off with a heaping tablespoon of honey for the perfect all-natural antioxidant facial.
- Caffeine can also be absorbed through your skin, so for those needing more more more! Why not start your day with a coffee soap? Turn your old coffee grounds into homemade soap by adding them to a simple soap making kit.
- If you are like me, you may use quite a bit of hair styling products. The residue left in your hair sometimes leaves it a little flat, rub some gritty grounds through it to remove the residue then wash as normal. It’ll restore the shine and give your hair a little lift.
- Wouldn't we all love a miracle cellulite treatment? Using a simple mix of coffee grounds and warm water, scrub your trouble areas for 10 minutes twice a week and (apparently) you’ll notice the difference in four weeks. Sounds crazy but worth a try!
Photos: Lisa Atkinson, Copyright © Chyka Keebaugh.