Organising Your Laundry
My little laundry started as a junk space!
It’s in a tiny nook that used to be a storage cupboard that we converted into one of the cutest little rooms in the house. The laundry is often an afterthought when it comes to decorating and is often a forgotten. But really, we spend so much time washing, ironing, sorting and the like - that doing these chores in a cute space can make the jobs a little more enjoyable. I’m a big fan of the European closet - they make so much sense to me! The smaller the space, the easier it is to keep tidy and clean. So utilising the odd space that was a storage cupboard was a fantastic idea. Our laundry is a little bit bigger than a Euro closet but it has the bare necessities plus a few fun styled up tricks.
Every laundry should be well organised!
- Have all cleaning items needed should always be kept in easy reach like Fabulon/Napisan /washing powder /etc..
- A sewing kit to mend that annoying ripped hem and all lost buttons
- A collection of safety pins and quick iron on hem repairs for the sudden emergency
- Shoe cleaning items. Plus a variety of shoe laces as our somehow always disappear?
- Ironing board and iron
- A collection of coat hangers (I'm obsessed that they all match!)
- All warranties for washing machine, clothes dryer and iron
- I keep a dustbuster powered up and ready to go for small accidents
- A couple of extra boxes of washing powder and cleaning products under the sink so we never run out
- Cleaning rags should be kept in the laundry - I love babies cloth nappies for this!
- Name tags for school uniforms
- A bag to put all those odd socks that mysteriously a cut even though you know two went in together!!
It’s a fun room to get creative in using up all the available nooks. Areas like behind the door are perfect for utilising hanging space; you could even hang your ironing board behind the door. Maximising your counter top area is a must for sorting clothes as well as laying a tool down for a quick iron; natural light is always best but if you can't have that then get a good amount of downlights. There is nothing worse than not being able to see the stains! Get baskets, baskets and more baskets. Cheap, functional and always good for styling.
Photos: Lisa Atkinson, Copyright © Chyka Keebaugh.