A chicken pie is the ultimate feel good Sunday evening meal.
Here's a recipe I have used for years and one that's sure to be a winner in your household!
- 2tbs Olive Oil
- x6 (about 600g) Chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g Swiss brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 Leek, pale section only, thickly sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbs Plain flour
- 1tbs Wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup (250ml) Chicken stock
- 1/4 (60g) Sour cream
- 2tbs Drained green peppercorns
- 2tbs Lemon Juice
- 2tbs Coarsely chopped tarragon
- 2 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 sheets ready – rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat Oven to 200C.
- Heat oil in large non-stick fry pan and once sizzling add the chicken, turning occasionally until brown. Transfer to plate.
- In the frying pan add the mushroom, leek and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until leek softens.
- Add the chicken and flour to pan and stir to combine.
- Add the mustard, stock and sour cream. Reduce heat to medium and stir until sauce thickens.
- Stir in peppercorns, lemon juice and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Line four 1 1/2 cup (375ml) capacity pie dishes with shortcrust pastry. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Place the pie dishes on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove paper and baking beans.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly amongst pastry cases. Lightly brush edges with a little egg.
- Use a 12cm round pastry cutter (or top of a glass!) to cut four discs from puff pastry, place discs over chicken mixture to enclose. Lightly brush with egg mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden and filling is nice and hot.
- Serve immediately.
Chyka Keebaugh [Chyka.com]