WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
I love surprising dinner guests with food combinations that are unexpected.
Using sweet watermelon with savoury items can work so well together. This particular watermelon salad recipe is one we use at The Big Group for a lot of our Summer events. It is so refreshing and perfect for warm weather.
- One small red onion diced
- Two juicy limes
- 1.5 kgs watermelon (sweet and ripe)
- 250 gm feta cheese
- One bunch fresh flatleaf parsley
- One bunch fresh mint (torn)
- Four tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100 grams pitted black olives or green olives
- black pepper
- Peel and halve the red onion and cut finely add to a bowl lime juice.
- Remove the rind and pips from the watermelon, and cut into approximately 4cm triangular chunks.
- Cut the feta into similar sized pieces and put them both into a large, wide shallow bowl.
- Tear off sprigs of parsley so that it is used like a salad leaf, rather than a garnish, and add to the bowl along with the torn mint.
- Add onion and juices over the salad, add the oil and olives, then using your hands toss the salad very gently so that the feta and melon don't lose their shape.
Chyka Keebaugh [Chyka.com]