- 8 medium lemons
- 1 1/3 cp (450g) rock salt
- 5 fresh baby leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup (250ml) lemon juice
- Half lemons lengthways; carefully cut each lemon in half again without cutting all the way through. Open lemon halves out slightly.
- Squeeze lemons over a large non-metallic bowl to catch the juice.
- Add lemons to bowl with salt, bay leaves and seeds and mix well.
- Pack lemon mixture into a 1.5 litre (6 cup) sterilised jar, then pour enough of the juice into the jar to cover lemons.
- Place a sealed small plastic bag filled with water on top of the lemons to keep them submerged; seal the jar. Label and date the jar.
- Store preserved lemons in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before using. Refrigerate after opening.
- To use, remove and discard pulp, squeeze lemon juice from the rind, rinse rind well, then slice according to the recipe.
- Cinnamon sticks or chillies can be added to the jar before sealing.
Trying to figure what it's all about.