WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Mark Lobo
A humble, no-fuss tart is my idea of a perfect Sunday evening meal that you can cook in the afternoon.
This is one of my go-to comfort foods that I just love.I think you will too! Pair this tart with a green salad and you're in for a delicious lunch or dinner.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g rindless bacon in short, thin strips
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (185ml) cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (30g) grated parmesan
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 150g butter, chilled and cubed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- For pastry, mix flour, butter and salt in a food processor until mixture forms crumbs. Process with egg and 1-2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Knead until smooth.
- Refrigerate covered for 10mins.
- Roll pastry out between two sheets of lightly floured non-stick baking paper and in a 25cm (base), 3cm deep fluted loose-bottomed flan.
- Refrigerate for 30mins.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bacon and cook for 8-10mins or until soft. Drain on a paper towel.
- Microwave spinach on high for 1min or until it wilts. Cool for 5mins. Squeeze out moisture and chop.
- Preheat oven to 190c. Place a tray in the oven and line with baking paper.
- Cover base with rice. Bake on the hot tray for 10mins.
- Remove paper and rice. Spread over spinach, bacon and onion.
- Whisk eggs, cream and milk together and pour over the filling. Sprinkle the parmesan over it.
- Bake for 30mins and serve with salad.
Chyka Keebaugh [Chyka.com]