WORDS:: Chyka Keebaugh
PHOTOS:: Shannon Lamden
If going away on a holiday is out of the question, why not go on a holiday in your own backyard?
I love the idea of 'glamping', of camping out in your backyard without the hassle of real camping. I think it is a brilliant way to pass the time on the school holidays with the kids, or even a romantic night out.
You may think a sound a little nuts. Glamping? Well you may be right, but you haven't done it Chyka style! Here's what I'd do...
- Source an outdoor tent or marquee (see my Volkwagen camper above?!). If you don't have a tent, there are plenty of cheap options for tents these days. Or, your kids might have a superhero tent you could use? But failing that, I would simply just construct a makeshift tent out of your clothing line. Simply grab some colourful, fun sheets and peg them around and above you. Easy!
- The idea glamping is to go low-fi. So I would grab some comfy cushions and scatter them on the ground with a blanket for seating.
- If you have any light weight, easy to move pots bring them into your glamp! Some potted colour and greenery will make the space inviting and fun.
- Outdoor lanterns with candles? Yes please (be careful with open flame candles!)!
- As we're going low-fi, I think this also means no tech. No tablets, no phones, no computers. Just you and your company. If anything, I would bring out a portable music player to play some music.
- For the kids, this needs to be a space where fun and magic happens. Bring out the board games and outdoor play equipment!
- We'll need food and beverage, won't we? Given we're going casual, I think some wooden serving boards with assortments of whatever nibbles you like is the way to go. Paired up with your favourite drink (a Gin & Tonic for me!) and we're in for a good time?
So, what do you think?