So we all know how to roast vegetables and lightly cook our greens.
But I do believe that we all need a little Turkey Cooking 101!
My Turkey Tips
- Don't have a lot of time? Cut in in half! No one said you had to cook the whole turkey.
- Get your turkey out of the fridge 30mins before roasting to minimise shrinkage.
- Want it super moist and flavoursome? Wedge herbed butter beneath the skin to keep it moist.
- For crisper skin, unwrap the turkey a day before roasting and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. This will dry out the skin slightly and aid in the crisping.
- The more you open the oven, the drier the bird! So look through the glass front and be patient.
Get Your Timings Right
- 3kg (6.6lb) needs 1 3/4 hours
- 4kg (8.8lb) needs 2 hours
- 5kg (11lb) needs 2 1/4 hours
- 6kg (13.2lb) needs 2 1/2 hours
- 7 - 8kg (15.5lb - 7.7lb) needs 3 hours
- 9 - 11lg (19.8lb - 24.2lb) needs 3 1/4 hours
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 80c. Pat the turkey till it is very dry with kitchen paper, or if you have time, put it in the fridge overnight without a cover to dry the kin out.
- Rub the turkey all over with salt, about 25g for a medium sized bird.
- Place the turkey on a rack in an oven tray. You can put some baking paper between the turkey and the rack to stop it from sticking.
- Roll in glad wrap to resemble a sausage and either steam or cook in lightly simmering water for 5-10mins or until set.
- Place a meat thermometer into the deepest part of the turkey meat and cook till temperature reaches 80c. This may take 2-2 1/2 hours depending on your oven.
- Once it has reached 80c remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 225c.
- Brush the turkey skin with duck fat or melted butter if you prefer. At this stage you can add your stuffing.
- Place the turkey in the oven and cook until golden. Remember to base and rotate every 15mins. In a domestic oven this will take 30-45mins to reach crispy golden perfection.
- Remove from the oven and allow 30-30mins before you start to carve.