I don't know about you, but I am a total sucker for anything sweet.
I find baking so calming and therapeutic. Nothing beats the smell of baking cookies or cake, I just love it.
Here's a classic strawberry sponge cake for you to try! If you're feeling adventurous you could try making a three layer sponge like I have, but a simple two layer strawberry sponge cake is more than fine too.
- 30g butter, melted
- 75g (1/2 cup) plan flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar, superfine if possible
- 300ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 500g (3 1/3 cups) strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Grease two 20cm (8 inch) round cake trays with melted butter and line the bases with baking paper.
- Dust the sides of the tin with a little flour, shake out any excess.
- Sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder into a bowl, then repeat the sifting twice more.
- Using electric beaters beat the the eggs and sugar for 5min, or until pale and thick.
- Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold in the sifted flour mixture until just incorporated - take care not to over mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins, then bake for 18-20mins, or until cakes are golden and have shrunk slightly from the side of the tins.
- Leave in tins for 5mins, turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- combine cream and icing sugar in a bowl and then whip until soft peaks form.
- Place one sponge cake on a serving plate and spread with jam.
- Top with half the cream and half of the sliced strawberries.
- Cover with the second sponge cake.
- Spread the remaining cream over the top and top with the remaining strawberries.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately!