I have been to quite a few functions in my time.
Finding my name card on a table is alway a bit of fun, and I love how creative people are becoming when designing their place cards. Whether it be for a formal wedding or an intimate soiree, place cards are everywhere. They are a perfect way to show a creative streak and reinforce the theme of your event. Even as something as simple as dining at home, there is no reason why you can’t get creative with some fun place cards.
Gone are the days when names are only printed on white place cards, oh no - scroll through Pinterest or easy and you’ll find an assortment of cards so creative it’ll be hard not wanting to grab them all. Creating small arty touches for your dining space is a great way to decorate when you have friends over for dinner, and after raiding a few two dollars shops, I collected quite a lot of arty objects that will be perfect to use as centrepieces.
Colour paint samples from hardware stores have been a decorating revelation for me this week. They are fun and colourful, and best of all FREE. It is an easy way to bring colour to your table while still thinking about your theme. I simply stapled a few together and placed the cutlery in them, so easy and yet so effective. This would be fun to do some Christmas colours for your festivities, bringing some colour and spark to your table. There are so many options with these cards…Scatter them all over the table as a base for you flower arrangement, use them as drinks coasters, the choices are endless.
Creative items to use for place cards…
- gold pen on bright green leave
- simple tags attached to old keys
- small jars containing a flower each with a name on the jar
- using a beautiful pear with an old swing tag
- filling a small terracotta pot with moss and using a herb stake for each place
- an individual gift box wrapped and tagged with guest name
- handwritten menu for each guest with their name written on the top
- a serviette wrapped in thick card as a serviette ring with guest name printed
- individual place mats with guests names printed on them, or transferred on. This is also a cute take home gift.
- using the theme of the table and incorporating one on each place mat - candle, book, packet of seeds, glass- tying place card on to each
A blank canvas is great to use as a place card that can then be taken home. Use it as a fun menu, a larger canvas in the middle of the table surrounded by flowers and paintbrushes would be the perfect combination. An obvious choice would be to use the canvas as a table number, bright and proud so tables can be found easily.
Photos: Lisa Atkinson, Copyright © Chyka Keebaugh.