Day in day out we have to think of what to cook for ourselves, our families and our friends. It’s a never ending dilemma! Sometimes I wish that just one day a week was taken care of. So I thought, if this was my wish – maybe it’s your wish as well? This is one of my favourite cakes, simple and delicious.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup(165g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups(225g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup(180ml) milk
- 45 gbutter, melted
- 1/2 tspvanilla extract
- 1 apple, cored, sliced
- 10g butter, melted
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 20cm cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until firm peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly, until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in egg yolk.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold through flour alternately with combined milk, butter and vanilla extract, beginning and ending with flour. Pour into prepared pan and arrange apple slices on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- To make cinnamon topping: Brush hot cake with melted butter and sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon. Cut and serve warm.